To vote in California, you must be:
- At least 18 years old by election day
- 18 by June 3, 2014, you can vote in the Primary Election AND General Election
- 18 by November 4, 2014, you can only vote in the General Election
- A US Citizen
- A California resident
- Not in prison or on parole for a felony
- Not declared mentally incompetent by court action
- Register to vote by May 19, 2014 (For June 5 Primary Election)
How to Register to Vote
You can apply to register to vote right now by filling in the online application. If you have any questions, visit Frequently Asked Questions, contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (800) 345-8683 or by email.
Download & Print a Voter Registration Form (Santa Clara County)
Fill out form online & Print Registration Form (California Secretary of State)
Signed & completed forms must be returned in person or by mail. They cannot be faxed or e-mailed.
- Address to deliver in-person: Registrar of Voters, 1555 Berger Drive, Building 2, San Jose, CA 95112
- Mailing Address: Registrar of Voters, P.O. Box 611300, San Jose, CA 95161-1300
Postcard registration forms are available at the Registrar of Voters’ Office, U.S.Post Offices, Public Libraries, the Department of Motor Vehicles, and other government offices.